Thursday 27 February 2014

Multi-coloured granny stripes - Lucy style


I've yet to share with you the bright bright bright granny stripe blanket I've been working on over the past 5 weeks.  As I may have mentioned, I am not a fan of the traditional granny square, although I can't quite put my finger on why.  I've never yet made anything that involves a granny square, and don't ever intend on doing so (I know that saying that out loud is like swearing at a crocheter, but it's the truth).  

I'm less offended by granny stripes, however.  I like that they look so homely, and I like that they can work in both really plain and really crazy colours and still look good.  And someone who has got the crazy bright colour thing down to perfection is Lucy from Attic 24.  I'm sure you've all heard of Lucy; in fact, I should think some of you even made it over to the first ever Yarndale that Lucy helped to organise in September last year.  If you haven't heard of Lucy, you definitely should nip over the Attic 24 and take a look at her natural flair for colour and creativity.  She's even become a writer for Simply Crochet magazine this year!  

I had been toying with the idea of starting a blanket for some time.  The last blanket I made was at least 15 months or so ago, and I was missing having a large scale project that could tick along, that didn't require amigurumi style double crochet and lots of counting.  Then, just at the right time, Wool Warehouse began to sell their Stylecraft Special DK Attic 24 pack, 17 skeins of the very same colours that Lucy used to make her granny stripe blanket.  I snapped a pack right up, and got started on the long chain as soon as it arrived - 240 in total!

This picture doesn't do the colours justice, there are some really lovely ones in the set
I looked at Lucy's granny blanket quite intently to get the idea for the colour order.  These aren' necessarily colours I'd put together and so I was a bit worried about how they would come together if I approached it in my usual way.  So I took Lucy's lead and here's the progress I've made so far:


I'm actually really enjoying it.  The blanket sits on my chair waiting for me to get home each night.  Partly so it's right in front of me so I can't forget it, and partly so it's ready for me to pick up and get on with as soon as I have a few spare minutes.  I like the repetitive nature of granny striping, it's so quick to pick up from where you left off without having to really think too much and it's nice not having to do any counting.  I like having a project that I can put on the back burner whilst I'm doing other things but is there ready when I get the urge to blitz it.  It's taking me about 25 minutes per stripe, so almost an hour for each colour, which means I'm really only adding one colour a night, yet it's still coming along really quickly.  I'm also really pleased with Stylecraft DK.  It's mega cheap yarn, around £1.60 a ball and yet it's nice and soft for a blanket, in the very nicest colours and doesn't really do the squeaky thing that other acrylics do.  Stylecraft is definitely going to be my go-to yarn for blankets from now on.  

I'll be sure to keep you updated as the blanket grows :) 

5 comments:

  1. LOVELY granny stripes, Leah. And it's ok, I'll still speak to you even though you don't like granny squares :-P It's silly - some people really get upset about them! I am quite fussy about which ones I like - I prefer modern zany colours to old-fashioned ones.

    I LURVE your slippers too - very similar to mine - I bet your feet are cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are You In Need Of A Private Or Business Loans At 2% Rate For Various Purposes? If Yes; Contact us: opploansllc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a personal loan from $3,000 to $20,000,000 within 24 hours upon request. Other types of loans are also available in less than 48 hours. Contact me as needed. Contact Us At :abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir/Madam,

    Finance cash no collateral required is now approved. You may view it We give financial assistance to who so ever that is interested to get support to finance his/her business Interested people in Financial assistance should please contact us for more details Via (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone, Rustik Cyber Hack Service are the only true and guaranteed cryptocurrency recovery professionals. I want to tell you about how I almost had my life ruined by a man who conned me out of $509,278.10 after I fell for a romantic hoax. I fell for this con man, and it damaged my connection with my family. My life savings were stolen by this scammer I met on a dating website while he seemed to be in trouble, and I assisted him numerous times since I was continually sending money through Bitcoin and bank transfers. As a result, I had to declare bankruptcy. I borrowed money to help him, but I later learned that he was a con artist. After a buddy of mine showed me an article about Rustik Cyber Hack Service and how they are capable of recovering any crypto coins Bitcoin, USDT, ETH, Dogecoin, and bank transfer funds. from any type of con artist, i reach out to Rustik Cyber Hack Service discuss my situation, and send all the information of the transfer payment I made to the scam. In less than 24 hours I was able to get through everything and to my great surprise, they quickly retrieved most of what I had lost to my Bitcoin wallet address. If you find yourself in such difficulty, get in touch with them right away. to recover your scammed funds back to your bank account or to your bitcoin wallet address  Email: rustikcyberhackservice@gmail.com all thanks to Rustik Cyber Hack Service Call/WhatsApp + 1) (3 8 6) 3 4 8 --- 7 8 3 8

    ReplyDelete

© Curly Girl Coop. Powered by